- 1 ½ pounds eggplant, unpeeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup mia’s kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups of your favorite flavor mia’s kitchen Pasta Sauce
- ½ pound mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced thinly
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped basil
Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and spread out on a platter. After 30 minutes, pat slices dry with paper towels. Dip each slice into flour and shake off excess. Heat oil in a heavy skillet and brown slices a few at a time in a skillet on medium high heat. (It may be necessary to add more oil as eggplant is browed.) After each browning, transfer slices to paper towels so they drain well. Grease a 2-quart baking dish and pour in ½ cip tomato sauce. Spread eggplant slices over the sauce, top with a layer of cheese, and a sprinkling of Parmesan and basil. Top with a thin layer or pasta sauce. Repeat layers in this order until all ingredients are used, being sure to finish with a top layer of tomato sauce over the cheeses and basil. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F, or until eggplant is tender when pricked with a fork. Serve hot.
*Adapted from Mia’s grandmothers cookbook, Mangiamo by Silvia Sebastiani.